1.06.2009

Homemade Chicken Noodle Soup

Markus was very ill this morning, so I made him the classic sick food. It surprised me how yummy it was and sooo not salty! This is my new recipe for the week that I tried. Success!

3 qts homemade chicken stock (see recipe below), chilled- I didn't have time to chill mine
3 carrots, cut into 1/8-in thick rounds
Kosher salt
8 oz medium egg noodles
Cooked shredded chicken meat from homemade stock
Freshly ground pepper
1/4 cup chopped fresh dill, or 1 tbls dried
1/4 cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley

Remove layer of fat from chilled stock and discard. Transfer stock to large stockpot; bring just to a simmer. Add the carrots; simmer until tender, about 6 min

Meanwhile, bring a large saucepan of salted water to a boil. Cook noodles just until tender, about 6 min. Drain; add noodles to stockpot, along with shredded chicken. Season with salt and pepper. Heat until hot. When ready to serve, stir in dill and parsley.

**I cooked my noodles with my stock. I wanted mine super tender.

Homemade chicken stock

2 leeks, cut into thirds
1 tsp whole black peppercorns
6 sprigs fresh dill or 2 tsp dried
6 sprigs fresh flat leaf parsley
2 dried bay leaves
2 carrots, cut into thirds
1 4-lb chicken, cut into 6 pieces
1-1/2 lbs chicken wings
1-1/2 lbs chicken backs
2 48-0z cans low-sodium chicken broth, skimmed of fat.

Basically the recipe is a long drawn out process that cooks for about 4 or so hours, which who had that kind of time???

** I had to omit a few things that were fresh cause I didn't have on hand, but overall if you have the vegetables and season the stock well the soup is a no fail. Go easy on the salt as it could easily over power quick. I made my stock and didn't worry about skimming the fat. I also didn't use that much broth cause I didn't want to eat this for days, but with a few more than 2 people I might suggest that to allow room for seconds.

from The MARTHA STEWART LIVING Cookbook: The Original Classics (my newest cookbook)

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails