7.29.2008

"Old-Fashioned" Pineapple Upside-Down Cake


Just for the record, Markus claims this is his favorite cake I make.  So I'm making it for our Anniversary.  I found this recipe and immediately thought of my mother who used to make it all the time for my sister Angie's (I think) Birthday.  So I made it for her bday a few years ago and also this year for Mother's Day.  Which the Mother's Day cake was the best one yet.  So if you dare, try it, but beware it might become your husband/wife/family's favorite and oh boy look out.  It's not a quickie.

1/2 c butter
1 c dark brown sugar
1 large can sliced pinneapple, drained, reserve juice
Maraschino cherries
Pecan halves
1-1/3 c flour
1 tsp cinnamon
1 c sugar, divided
4 eggs, separated
2 tsps baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/3 c shortening
3 tbls pineapple juice (I use more cause momma said so)
1/2 c milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp almond extract

Preheat oven 350 degrees.   Melt butter in a 10-in iron skillet.  Sprinkle brown sugar evenly over butter.  Arrange pineapple slices in a pattern over butter-sugar coating.  (I have a cake pan especially for pineapple upside-down cakes so it does it for me).  Place a cherry in the hole of each pineapple and pecan halves between each pineapple piece around the outer edge.

To mix cake, sift flour, baking powder, cinnamon and salt together and set aside.  Beat egg yolks until lemon colored.  Add shortening and mix throughly.  Add 1/2 cup sugar, milk, pineapple juice and flavorings.  Mix well.  Add dry ingredients to egg mixture.  Beat egg whites until firm and add remaining 1/2 cup sugar, beating until fluffy.  Fold beaten eggs whites gently into batter.  Pour over brown sugar and pineapple slices.  (Pour left over juice on top- that's what momma said to do)

Bake 40-50 minutes.  Immediately turn upside down on serving plate.  Leave pan over cake for a few minutes.  Serve with vanilla ice cream.

No comments:

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails